Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kamikaze Cardinal

When it began, it was somewhat comical.  As it continued, it was a bit concerning.  At this point, it’s just irritating.

You see, a few days ago, a female cardinal began attacking our kitchen window.  At first, we chalked it up to having such pristine windows that the bird simply couldn’t see the barrier in an attempt to investigate our home.  But it happened repeatedly.  She would perch on a tree branch near the window before flying at it and hitting her beak on the glass.  I began to feel sorry for the bird and wondered what might be causing her actions, so I looked to the Internet for answers.  I was relieved to find that we were not, in fact, dealing with a Kamikaze cardinal.  Apparently various species of territorial birds become even more defensive of their turf during brooding season.  This soon-to-be momma bird doesn’t recognize that the bird she sees in the window is merely her own reflection.  Seeing it as a potential threat to her nest and eggs, she attacks.  And attacks.  And attacks.  According to what I read, you can attempt to cover the outside of the window so as to keep her from seeing her reflection, although one’s efforts might be in vain.  The bird may go in search of its nefarious nemesis and with all probability will find it at another window of your home.  Apparently this behavior can be expected to continue for the duration of spring!

As a mother, however, I can relate to this bird’s desire to defend her young, so I endure and somewhat admire her diligent efforts.  Yet I began to think… How sad it would be if, because of this bird’s diverted attention to a threat that is only perceived, an actual enemy came in from behind and brought devastation to that which she so valiantly seeks to protect.

I would like to think I have more than a “bird brain”- that I can tell the difference between a reflection and the real deal.  That being said, I have to wonder how many of the battles I engage in are necessary and how many of them are a diversionary tactic.  How often does Satan throw out a decoy to divert my focus and then creep in through the back door?  I can see in hindsight that this has occurred more times than I care to admit.  Sadly enough, I’ve been guilty of “friendly fire.”  In earnest sincerity, I’ve been sincerely wrong.  I’ve viewed other friends of Jesus’ as competition; I’ve focused on our differences of opinion with regard to doctrine or theology or something of the sort rather than our commonality as the bride of Christ.  When this happens- when the Church tears at itself from the inside- the consequences are much more far reaching than we realize; and the enemy scores.

Diversionary tactics come in other forms as well.  Focus is defined as “a point upon which attention, activity, etc., is directed or concentrated”.  What we focus on gains our attention, our efforts, and our energy.  The enemy shrewdly tempts us to avert our eyes from Jesus in order to focus on something else.  Sometimes it’s how I’m feeling.  For some, it may be the temptation to succumb to negativity.  For others, the trap may be using the knowledge we have that emotions stem from something and trying to figure out what’s going on apart from the Holy Spirit’s guidance in such matters.  Sometimes it may be what has some bit of legitimacy to it, such as a dream or desire.  Scripture is very clear that God does indeed plant dream seeds and desires in our hearts.  Indeed, I’m convinced that part of loving God and seeking after him with our whole hearts is allowing ourselves to discover and pursue those things within us that God put there for us to do and become.  The thing is, in order for this to work out according to God’s perfect plan, it must be done within the context of a life focused on Jesus.  You see, the object of our focus becomes magnified.  When our eyes are fixed on Jesus, our dreams, our desires, our disappointments- everything- is seen through the lens of heaven, and we attain proper perspective.  When our focus is diverted, then God becomes smaller to us, and our true selves retreat just a bit.

I’m impressed with the perseverance and tenacity of this cardinal who has taken up residence in my backyard.  I’m more impressed at how the Holy Spirit can use even the irritating pecking of a bird on a window to cause me to reflect on truth.