Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wedding Memories


When I was two years old, I was the flower girl in my aunt’s and uncle’s wedding.  I’m sure there was a rehearsal, and I’m sure I was instructed how to proceed down the aisle and where I was to stand after scattering my petals.  I don’t remember that.  What I do remember distinctly, however, is entering a room with giants standing in rows on either side, their gazes all directly upon me.  I remember feeling terrified, and my feet remained frozen.  Until I spotted my daddy.  Being a part of the wedding party, he was already at the front of the church with the other men.  He was my daddy, and he was my security.  And so I ran down the aisle, screaming the whole way, “Daddy!”  And I stood safely by his side for the remainder of the ceremony.

The Holy Spirit recently brought this memory to the forefront of my mind.  I’m far from being a two-year-old, but in so many ways, I can identify with little girl I once was.  When I enter the arena of my life, it often happens that I encounter giants in one form or another.  Some are real; others simply perceived, but the result is the same:  I am paralyzed by fear.  I can’t seem to take even one more step down the pathway of my becoming because the risk seems so very great.  I momentarily forget what I’ve already learned because the sneering faces of the giants are so daunting.  Until I spot my Daddy.  He’s my security, and he beckons me remain by his side for always.  In his presence, there is joy, and there is peace, and there is protection.  Giants become diminutive, and I regain the strength necessary to rise and walk and Become.